- 2 frozen ready-made 9″ pie plates
- 1 pack thick cut bacon, chopped
- 4 cups thinly sliced onion
- 10 oz. sliced mushrooms
- ground Thyme
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- ground black peper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 10 large eggs
- 2 packs shredded cheese (I used the 5 0z pack of emmentaler/Swiss mix from Lucerne)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a saute pan, over medium heat, cook bacon. Drain slices on paper towel. You might want to save some of the bacon fat to cook the rest of the ingredients in. Sounds fatty, I know, but it tastes good. Once cooled, chop into quarter inch pieces.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are wilted and lightly caramelized (about 8 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms, thyme and garlic to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook everything together until most of the moisture has cooked out of the mushrooms (about another 8 to 10 minutes).
- Remove pan from heat and allow the onion/mushroom mixture to cool (about 10 minutes).
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup heavy cream and 5 of the eggs. Stir in one pack of the shredded cheese. Stir in about half of your chopped bacon and then stir half of the onion/mushroom mixture. Pour this into one of the pre-made 9″ pie plates. Repeat this step for the second pie plate.
- Bake both pie plates on a cookie sheet for about 35 minutes, but start checking at around 20 minutes.
Original recipe found here.