- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 lbs purple onions (halved and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt (can add more for taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (can add more for taste)
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and cook until softened and translucent (about 8 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Add wine, sugar, thyme, vinegar, and salt. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer until liquid thickens and becomes syrupy (about 1 hour), stirring occasionally. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer onion jam to a bowl and let cool.
- Transfer portions of jam to sterilized jam jars and seal in a canning pot for approximately 7 minutes.
**I filled four 5.5 4 oz. jam jars.**